FAQs on How to Apply for Maintenance

Can I file for maintenance without going through conciliation?

No. You can file for maintenance at the Tribunal only if you are unable to achieve settlement through conciliation at the Commissioner’s Office.

Can I file for maintenance from children who live abroad?

Yes, if you provide sufficient information on the location of your children. The Tribunal can make a Maintenance Order if your children are absent for mediation and hearing.

However, whether the order is effective will depend on whether they reside in a "reciprocating country" under the Maintenance Order (Reciprocal Enforcement) Act.

How much does it cost to file an application?

No fees are charged for filing an application.